Released on 21/06/2014
When Mr. Jacobs comes in with massive hematemesis, what will you do? Will you continue his Aspirin? Does he need surgery? So many decisions to take!
Key Learning Points
- Adrenaline monotherapy
- Diagnostic tests for H. pylori
- H. pylori eradication therapy
- Proton Pump Inhibitor Therapy
- When to transfuse platelets?
1. LAINE L, JENSEN DM. Management of patients with ulcer bleeding. Am J Gastroenterol [online] 2012 Mar, 107(3):345-60; quiz 361 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1038/ajg.2011.480
2. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding: management. London (UK): National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE); 2012 Jun. 23 p. (Clinical guideline; no. 141).
3. University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing Family Nurse Practitioner Program. Recommendations in primary care for the most efficacious and cost effective pharmacologic treatment for Helicobacter pylori in non-pregnant adults. Austin (TX): University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing; 2013 May. 17 p.
4. CHEY WD, WONG BC, PRACTICE PARAMETERS COMMITTEE OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF GASTROENTEROLOGY. American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol [online] 2007 Aug, 102(8):1808-25 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1111/j.1572-0241.2007.01393.x
5. ASGE STANDARDS OF PRACTICE COMMITTEE, SHARAF RN, SHERGILL AK, ODZE RD, KRINSKY ML, FUKAMI N, JAIN R, APPALANENI V, ANDERSON MA, BEN-MENACHEM T, CHANDRASEKHARA V, CHATHADI K, DECKER GA, EARLY D, EVANS JA, FANELLI RD, FISHER DA, FISHER LR, FOLEY KQ, HWANG JH, JUE TL, IKENBERRY SO, KHAN KM, LIGHTDALE J, MALPAS PM, MAPLE JT, PASHA S, SALTZMAN J, DOMINITZ JA, CASH BD. Endoscopic mucosal tissue sampling. Gastrointest Endosc [online] 2013 Aug, 78(2):216-24 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1016/j.gie.2013.04.167
6. ASGE STANDARDS OF PRACTICE COMMITTEE, BANERJEE S, CASH BD, DOMINITZ JA, BARON TH, ANDERSON MA, BEN-MENACHEM T, FISHER L, FUKAMI N, HARRISON ME, IKENBERRY SO, KHAN K, KRINSKY ML, MAPLE J, FANELLI RD, STROHMEYER L. The role of endoscopy in the management of patients with peptic ulcer disease. Gastrointest Endosc [online] 2010 Apr, 71(4):663-8 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1016/j.gie.2009.11.026
7. AGRAWAL GA, JOHNSON PT, FISHMAN EK. Splenic artery aneurysms and pseudoaneurysms: clinical distinctions and CT appearances. AJR Am J Roentgenol [online] 2007 Apr, 188(4):992-9 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.2214/AJR.06.0794
8. ABBAS MA, STONE WM, FOWL RJ, GLOVICZKI P, OLDENBURG WA, PAIROLERO PC, HALLETT JW, BOWER TC, PANNETON JM, CHERRY KJ. Splenic artery aneurysms: two decades experience at Mayo clinic. Ann Vasc Surg [online] 2002 Jul, 16(4):442-9 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1007/s10016-001-0207-4
9. MATTAR SG, LUMSDEN AB. The management of splenic artery aneurysms: experience with 23 cases. Am J Surg [online] 1995 Jun, 169(6):580-4 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7771620
10. LAKIN RO, BENA JF, SARAC TP, SHAH S, KRAJEWSKI LP, SRIVASTAVA SD, CLAIR DG, KASHYAP VS. The contemporary management of splenic artery aneurysms. J Vasc Surg [online] 2011 Apr, 53(4):958-64; discussion 965 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1016/j.jvs.2010.10.055
11. OAKLEY E, HO JD, JOHNSON V, VANCAMP J, MELSON T, HICK JL. Splenic artery aneurysm: an important cause of hemoperitoneum and shock. J Emerg Med [online] 2014 Mar, 46(3):e65-7 [viewed 08 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.04.026