Released on 26/04/2015
Vaccines prevent measles. But do you know how to treat an infection once it occurs?
Key Learning Points
- Complications of Measles infection
- Diagnosis and treatment of Acute Otitis Media
- Evidence of immunity to Measles
- Investigating a probable Measles infection
- MMR Vaccine
- Measles complicated by Otitis Media
- Notification of public health authorities
- Ophthalmological complications of Measles
- Pneumonia complicating Measles
- Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) for Measles
- Signs and symptoms of Vitamin A deficiency
- The management of pediatric upper respiratory tract infections
- Treating Measles
- Upper respiratory tract infections and inappropriate antibiotic therapy
- Vitamin A prophylaxis in Measles infection
1. MCLEAN HQ, FIEBELKORN AP, TEMTE JL, WALLACE GS, CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION. Prevention of measles, rubella, congenital rubella syndrome, and mumps, 2013: summary recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep [online] 2013 Jun 14, 62(RR-04):1-34 [viewed 15 March 2015] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23760231
2. INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE (US) IMMUNIZATION SAFETY REVIEW COMMITTEE, STRATTON K, GABLE A, SHETTY P, MCCORMICK M. [online] 2001 [viewed 15 March 2015] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25057557
3. Snellman L, Adams W, Anderson G, Godfrey A, Gravley A, Johnson K, Marshall P, Myers C, Nesse R, Short S. Diagnosis and treatment of respiratory illness in children and adults. Bloomington (MN): Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement (ICSI); 2013 Jan. 86 p.
4. ZOOROB R, SIDANI MA, FREMONT RD, KIHLBERG C. Antibiotic use in acute upper respiratory tract infections. Am Fam Physician [online] 2012 Nov 1, 86(9):817-22 [viewed 15 March 2015] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23113461
5. ARROLL B. Antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infections: an overview of Cochrane reviews. Respir Med [online] 2005 Mar, 99(3):255-61 [viewed 15 March 2015] Available from: doi:10.1016/j.rmed.2004.11.004
6. LINDELL A, KELSBERG G, SAFRANEK S. FPIN's clinical inquiries. Antibiotics for viral upper respiratory tract infections in children. Am Fam Physician [online] 2011 Mar 15, 83(6):747-52 [viewed 15 March 2015] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21404988
7. Atkinson, William (2011). Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (12 ed.). Public Health Foundation. pp. 301-323. ISBN 9780983263135. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
8. WHO, Measles ,Fact sheet N°286. Viewed on 15 March 2015 http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/
9. HELFAND RF, HEATH JL, ANDERSON LJ, MAES EF, GURIS D, BELLINI WJ. Diagnosis of measles with an IgM capture EIA: the optimal timing of specimen collection after rash onset. J Infect Dis [online] 1997 Jan, 175(1):195-9 [viewed 16 March 2015] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8985220
10. CDC. Measles Lab Tools. CDC; 2012 [reviewed 2014 ; cited 2015 Mar 15]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/measles/lab-tools/index.html
11. CDC. Public health reporting and national notification for measles. Atlanta: CDC; 2009 [updated 2010 Jun 10; cited 2015 Mar 15]. Available from: www.cste.org/resource/resmgr/PS/09-ID-48.pdf
12. Treating measles in children. DEPARTMENT OF IMMUNIZATION, VACCINES AND BIOLOGICALS,DEPARTMENT OF CHILD AND ADOLESCENT HEALTH. World Health Organization Geneva 2004 updated. (viewed on 15 March 2015) http://www.who.int/immunization/programmes_systems/interventions/TreatingMeaslesENG300.pdf
13. PERRY ROBERT T., HALSEY NEAL A.. The Clinical Significance of Measles: A Review. J INFECT DIS [online] 2004 May, 189(s1):S4-S16 [viewed 15 March 2015] Available from: doi:10.1086/377712
14. O'BRIEN P. Otitis Media as a complication of Measles Res Newsl [online] 1955 Feb:14-15 [viewed 15 March 2015] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2233990
15. World Health Organization. Treating measles in children. http://www.who.int/immunization_delivery/interventions/TreatingMeaslesENG300.pdf 2004 (accessed 15 March 2015).
16. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis Surveillance--United States. MMWR. 1982. 31:585-8.
17. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. Chapter 10, Measles. 8th Edition, 2004.
18. TAPISIZ A, POLAT M, KARA SS, TEZER H, SIMSEK H, AKTAS F. Prevention of measles spread on a paediatric ward. Epidemiol Infect [online] 2015 Mar, 143(4):720-4 [viewed 16 March 2015] Available from: doi:10.1017/S0950268814001344
19. CDC. Measles. CDC; [reviewed Feb 2015 ; cited 2015 Mar 15]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/measles/
20. CDC. Chapter 3: Measles, Infectious Diseases Related To Travel (Yellow Book); [reviewed 2013 ; cited 2015 Mar 15]. Available from: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/measles-rubeola
21. Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC), Glossary; [reviewed 2009 ; cited 2015 Mar 15]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/2007IP/2007ip_glossary.html