Released on 03/12/2014
Some diseases are simple enough to be treated in a primary care setting. Some are way too serious. Can you distinguish between the two?
Key Learning Points
- Complications of community acquired pneumonia
- Following up outpatients with community acquired pneumonia
- Identification of the etiological agent
- Inpatient or outpatient management?
- Outpatient antibiotic therapy: how to decide?
- The CURB-65 score
- Treatment of community acquired pneumonia after the first 48 hours
1. MBATA GC, CHUKWUKA CJ, ONYEDUM CC, ONWUBERE BJC, AGUWA EN. The role of complications of community acquired pneumonia on the outcome of the illness: A prospective observational study in a tertiary institution in Eastern Nigeria. Ann Med Health Sci Res [online] 2013 December [viewed 23 September 2014] Available from: doi:10.4103/2141-9248.117952
2. ANANDA-RAJAH MR, CHARLES PG, MELVANI S, BURRELL LL, JOHNSON PD, GRAYSON ML. Comparing the pneumonia severity index with CURB-65 in patients admitted with community acquired pneumonia. Scand J Infect Dis [online] 2008, 40(4):293-300 [viewed 17 July 2014] Available from: doi:10.1080/00365540701663381
3. SOLOMON CAREN G., WUNDERINK RICHARD G., WATERER GRANT W.. Community-Acquired Pneumonia. N Engl J Med [online] 2014 February, 370(6):543-551 [viewed 18 July 2014] Available from: doi:10.1056/NEJMcp1214869
4. MCNALLY M, CURTAIN J, O'BRIEN KK, DIMITROV BD, FAHEY T. Validity of British Thoracic Society guidance (the CRB-65 rule) for predicting the severity of pneumonia in general practice: systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Gen Pract [online] 2010 Oct, 60(579):e423-33 [viewed 20 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.3399/bjgp10X532422
5. LIM WS, BAUDOUIN SV, GEORGE RC, HILL AT, JAMIESON C, LE JEUNE I, MACFARLANE JT, READ RC, ROBERTS HJ, LEVY ML, WANI M, WOODHEAD MA, PNEUMONIA GUIDELINES COMMITTEE OF THE BTS STANDARDS OF CARE COMMITTEE. BTS guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults: update 2009. Thorax [online] 2009 Oct:iii1-55 [viewed 20 June 2014] Available from: doi:10.1136/thx.2009.121434
6. LUTFIYYA MN, HENLEY E, CHANG LF, REYBURN SW. Diagnosis and treatment of community-acquired pneumonia. Am Fam Physician [online] 2006 Feb 1, 73(3):442-50 [viewed 19 September 2014] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16477891
7. LEVY ML, LE JEUNE I, WOODHEAD MA, MACFARLANED JT, LIM WS, BRITISH THORACIC SOCIETY COMMUNITY ACQUIRED PNEUMONIA IN ADULTS GUIDELINE GROUP. Primary care summary of the British Thoracic Society Guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults: 2009 update. Endorsed by the Royal College of General Practitioners and the Primary Care Respiratory Society UK. Prim Care Respir J [online] 2010 Mar, 19(1):21-7 [viewed 22 September 2014] Available from: doi:10.4104/pcrj.2010.00014
8. SOLOMON CAREN G., WUNDERINK RICHARD G., WATERER GRANT W.. Community-Acquired Pneumonia. N Engl J Med [online] 2014 February, 370(6):543-551 [viewed 18 July 2014] Available from: doi:10.1056/NEJMcp1214869
9. MANDELL L. A., WUNDERINK R. G., ANZUETO A., BARTLETT J. G., CAMPBELL G. D., DEAN N. C., DOWELL S. F., FILE T. M., MUSHER D. M., NIEDERMAN M. S., TORRES A., WHITNEY C. G.. Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society Consensus Guidelines on the Management of Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Adults. Clinical Infectious Diseases [online] 2007 March, 44(Supplement 2):S27-S72 [viewed 22 September 2014] Available from: doi:10.1086/511159
10. UGAJIN M, YAMAKI K, IWAMURA N, YAGI T, ASANO T. Blood urea nitrogen to serum albumin ratio independently predicts mortality and severity of community-acquired pneumonia. Int J Gen Med [online] 2012:583-9 [viewed 23 September 2014] Available from: doi:10.2147/IJGM.S33628