Released on 05/06/2014
Jason presents with a mass in his right iliac fossa. How do you image it? Do you need to perform an appendicectomy right now?
1. ANDERSSON RE, PETZOLD MG.Nonsurgical Treatment of Appendiceal Abscess or Phlegmon. Annals of Surgery [onlive]. 2007, vol. 246, issue 5, s. 741-748 [viewed 28th April 2014]. DOI: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31811f3f9f
2. DORIA AS, MOINEDDIN R, KEILENBERGER CJ, EPELMAN M,et al.US or CT for Diagnosis of Appendicitis in Children and Adults? A Meta-Analysis. Radiology [online]: Volume 241: Number 1—October 2006 [viewed on 28th April 2014] Available from http://www.emergencyultrasoundteaching.com/assets/articles/Peds_Appy_2006_Doria_Radiology.pdf
3. FRASER JD, AGUAYO P, LEYS CM, KECKLER SJ, et al. A complete course of intravenous antibiotics vs a combination of intravenous and oral antibiotics for perforated appendicitis in children: a prospective, randomized trial. Journal of Pediatric Surgery [online]. 2010, vol. 45, issue 6, s. 1198-1202 [viewed 28th April 2014]. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2010.02.090.
4. HALM BM, EAKIN PJ, FRANKE AA. Diagnosis of Appendicitis by a Pediatric Emergency Medicine Attending using Point-of-Care Ultrasound: A Case Report.Hawaii Med J [Online]. Sep 2010; 69(9): 208-211 [viewed 28th April 2014]. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3071208/
5. LEE SL,ISLAM S,CASSIDY LD,KECKLER SJ,et al. A complete course of intravenous antibiotics vs a combination of intravenous and oral antibiotics for perforated appendicitis in children: a prospective, randomized trial. Journal of Pediatric Surgery [online]. 2010, vol. 45, issue 11, s. 1198-1202 [viewed 28th April 2014]. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2010.06.038.
6. OWEN A, MOORE O, MARVEN S, ROBERTS J,et al. Interval Laparoscopic Appendectomy in Children: an American Pediatric Surgical Association Outcomes and Clinical Trials Committee Systematic Review. Journal of Laparoendoscopic. 2006, vol. 16, issue 3, s. 308-311. DOI: 10.1089/lap.2006.16.308.
7. PENA BMG, MANDL KD, KRAUS SJ, FISCHER AC, et al. Ultrasonography and Limited Computed Tomography in the Diagnosis and Management of Appendicitis in Children. JAMA [online]. 1999;282(11):1041-1046 [viewed on 28th April 2014]. Available from doi:10.1001/jama.282.11.1041.
8. PENA BMG, TAYLOR GA, FISHMAN SJ, MANDL KD.Effect of an imaging protocol on clinical outcomes among pediatric patients with appendicitis.PEDIATRICS [online] Vol. 110 No. 6 December 1, 2002 pp. 1088 -1093 [viewed 28th April 2014] Available from http://hinarilogin.research4life.org/uniquesigpediatrics.aappublications.org/uniquesig0/content/110/6/1088.long
9. SIVIT CJ, APPLEGATE KE, STALLION A, DUDGEON DL,et al. Imaging Evaluation of Suspected Appendicitis in a Pediatric Population
Effectiveness of Sonography Versus CT.American Journal of Roentgenology [online]. 2000;175: 977-980 [viewed 28th April 2014].Available from http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/ajr.175.4.1750977
10. TAYLOR GA. Suspected Appendicitis in Children: In Search of the Single Best Diagnostic Test Radiology [Online] 2004; 231:293-295 [viewed on 28th April 2014] Available from http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/pdf/10.1148/radiol.2312032041
11. WEBER TR, KELLER MA,BOWER RJ, SPINNER G, et al. Is delayed operative treatment worth the trouble with perforated appendicitis is children?: an American Pediatric Surgical Association Outcomes and Clinical Trials Committee Systematic Review. The American Journal of Surgery. 2003, vol. 186, issue 6, s. 685-689. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2003.08.027